- The tiny seahorse was discovered near the continent of Africa.
- There were only seven pygmy seahorses identified around the world.
- Research scientist unofficially named the creature Hippocampus nalu.
- The tiny seahorse have a honey-brown color and a reddish tail which allows them to mix in with the surrounding algae and sand.
- The newly discovered species grow to a maximum size of 2 centimeter.
- They are so small that two of the seahorses would fit in a U.S. nickel coin.
- According to National Geographic, the new species have spines on their backs, while the other identified species have flat-tipped spines.