New estimates of the number of human and bacterial cells in the body
- Do you know how many cells are there in the human body?
- There were only few detailed estimation research that have been performed.
- Researchers revealed the latest information on the number of human cells as well as the number of bacterial cells in the body.
- For a 70 kilogram man, the new estimate of the total number of bacterial cells is about 38 trillion.
- The new estimate for the number of human cells is about 30 trillion.
- Additionally, the research updates the widely popular ratio of 10:1, suggesting that the bacterial cell number is in fact of the same order as the human cell number.
Sender R, Fuchs S, Milo R (2016) Revised Estimates for the Number of Human and Bacteria Cells in the Body. PLoS Biol 14(8): e1002533. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.1002533