Original Article: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0008635
- Mesenchymal stem cells have potential immunosuppressive and regenerative properties.
- Researchers investigated whether transplantation of adipose tissue-derived stem cells could be used to control the granulomatous reaction in the liver of mice infected with Schistosoma mansoni after Praziquantel treatment.
- Granulomatous reaction is a distinctive pattern of chronic inflammation characterized by nodular clustering of inflammatory cells, predominantly activated macrophages.
- Schistosoma mansoni is a species of trematode worm that parasitizes humans and that causes liver and gastrointestinal tract disease.
- Praziquantel is in a class of medications called anthelmintic and works by killing the worms.
- Schistosomiasis is the second most widespread parasitic disease in the world and is caused by the Schistosoma trematode.
- Schistosomiasis is characterized by a granulomatous reaction around parasite eggs trapped in the tissues.
- Schistosomiasis occurs when skin comes in contact with contaminated freshwater in which certain types of snails that carry the parasite are living.
- Schistosomiasis symptoms include rash or itchy skin, fever, chills, cough, and muscle aches.
- The liver is one of the most affected organs and can develop severe scarring of connective tissue.
- Praziquantel is the treatment for schistosomiasis and kills the adult worm.
- After the Praziquantel treatment, inflammation still persists around the eggs in the tissues.
- Mesenchymal stem cells have been extensively studied as an alternative therapy to repair tissues and to stop inflammation.
- Mesenchymal stem cells have the potential to differentiate in several cells types, and to interfere with immune responses.
- Researchers were motivated to investigate the use of mesenchymal stem cells extract from adipose tissue associated with Praziquantel to treat schistosomiasis.
- Mice were treated with Praziquantel followed by adipose tissue-derived stem cells injection.
- The results show significant reduction of the granulomas and normal levels of the enzyme alanine aminotransferase.
- Alanine aminotransferase test is a blood test used to check for liver damage.
- These results suggest that adipose tissue-derived stem cells has the potential to be used as a new therapeutic approach to control inflammation following infection by S. mansoni or liver disorders.
- Further studies using the chronic model of schistosomiasis are required to confirm using adipose tissue-derived stem cells for schistosomiasis therapy.
Keywords: what are mesenchymal stem cell, stem cell therapy, what is schistosomiasis, what causes schistosomiasis, what is schistosoma parasite, define schistosoma, what parasite causes schistosomiasis, treatment for schistosomiasis, therapy for schistosomiasis, liver damage therapy, what is Praziquantel